Better late than never, but I’m finally here with pictures of our master bedroom makeover, now that all those little paint jobs that I kept meaning to do – but never quite got around to doing – are complete.
This was another room that needed a little TLC as you can see from the ‘Before’ images below, taken when we first viewed the house. Sadly, I don’t have any photographic evidence of the assortment of curtains that we made do with over the last few years but, suffice to say, it wasn’t pretty.
I got to indulge my love of wallpaper stripping with this project, and then, after having the room replastered, donned my tatty old jeans once again in order to paint. We chose restful shades to tone in with the bed and furniture that we already had, with a view to adding colour through accessories.
It’s hard to tell from these pictures, but the bedside cabinets and larger cupboard are actually painted in shades of duck egg blue/green, so I hunted out a curtain fabric to complement these and found exactly what I was looking for at Linwood. A word to the wise though, on delivery we discovered that the curtains are quite a bit paler than the cutting that I had. Thankfully this wasn’t a major issue for us, as the colours all blend with each other, but it does go to show that it’s worth going to the trouble of getting a batch sample if you are keen on an exact match for something (a lesson duly learned).
I’m not a huge fan of pendant lights – I blame the gloomy glow that they give off – but they can add a welcome decorative touch, so we got our electrician to fit the vintage chandelier which had been languishing in the loft for the last few years. He also installed some discreet halogen downlights to provide more flattering illumination.
The eagle-eyed amongst you may have spotted the new carpet too. Moth-eaten in places, the old, threadbare, apricot number had definitely seen better days, so we bit the bullet and treated ourselves to a new one.
In case you’re wondering about the rather generous curtain length, rest assured that there is method in our madness and no measuring mishaps occurred. When we eventually do our building works, this window and wall will be demolished to allow for the extension and the new window is likely to be taller than the existing one. So, in a rare moment of foresight, we decided to make allowances for this to enable us to reuse the curtains down the line and had them made extra-long.
Whilst all the DIY may finally be done in this room, the accessorising is not; I’m keen to offset the neutral shades with some cushions in a brighter shade and perhaps a table lamp in the corner by the mirror. We’re happy to wait to find the right pieces though: in the mean time, we’re just thrilled to have a lovely new bedroom where the curtains match each other!
- Walls & Wardrobe – Little Greene ‘Joanna’
- Ceiling – Little Greene ‘Shirting’
- Chandelier – eBay
- Bed – Feather & Black ‘Loire’ Bed
- Curtain/Blind Fabric – Linwood Sakura LF1684C/5 in ‘Daydream’
- Curtain Pole – Advent 47mm Reeded Curtain Pole (Just Poles)
- Quilt – Oka ‘Coromandel’ Quilt in Oatmeal